This Middle Eastern dip is made with mashed roasted eggplant blended with
tahini, chickpeas, lemon juice, and seasonings. It’s a perfect spread or dip to
complement fresh vegetables and breads.
One 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
3 garlic cloves
¼ cup lemon juice
3 tablespoons tahini
½ teaspoon of sea salt
¼ cup of water
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet
with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Slice the eggplant in half lengthwise and poke the skin of each half with a fork
about 10 times. Lay the eggplant halves on the prepared baking sheet with the
skin side facing up. Roast in the oven for approximately 45 minutes, or until the
skins become soft and wrinkly.
3. Remove the eggplant from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Scoop out the
inside of the eggplant (pulp) with a spoon, discarding the skin.
4. In a blender or food processor, combine the eggplant pulp, chickpeas, garlic,
lemon juice, tahini, and salt until smooth. The mixture will be somewhat thick.
5. Add the water slowly until you have your desired consistency. Adjust the
amount of water as needed for a thicker or thinner consistency.
6. Mix in the chopped parsley by hand. Best served fresh.