Black Bean Polenta Cakes with Salsa | Dinner
All the flavours of the Southwest combine in this colourful confetti
polenta loaf. Pan-fry individual slices if you like, or just enjoy it as it
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
6 cups of water
2 cups cornmeal
1/2 red or yellow bell pepper, diced small
3/4 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons vegan margarine
1. Place black beans in a bowl and mash with a fork until halfway
mashed. Set aside.
2. Bring the water to a boil, then slowly add cornmeal, stirring to combine.
3. Reduce heat to low and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently and
scraping the bottom of the pot to prevent sticking and burning.
4. Add bell pepper, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, oregano, salt, and
pepper and stir well to combine. Continue to heat, stirring frequently for
8–10 more minutes.
5. Add vegan margarine and stir well to combine, then add black beans,
6. Gently press into a lightly greased loaf pan, smoothing the top with the
back of a spoon. Chill until firm, at least 1 hour. Reheat, slice, and serve
topped with prepared salsa.