This casserole is almost like a vegetable sandwich—but soaked in a creamy,
flavorful sauce and baked to perfection. It’s similar to a scrumptious breakfast or
brunch that you would find at a bed and breakfast. I like to serve this when we
have guests because I can make it ahead of time and pop it in the oven the next
3 cups nondairy milk
6 ounces silken tofu
3 tablespoons flax meal
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¾ teaspoon black pepper, divided
½ teaspoon ground mustard
2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons minced garlic
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
10 ounces spinach, chopped
1 onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
¼ teaspoon of sea salt
12 slices whole-wheat bread
8 ounces Lightlife Organic Smoky Tempeh Strips
½ cup Daiya Mozzarella Style Shreds (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9 × 13-inch casserole pan with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Put the milk in a blender with the tofu, flax meal, nutmeg, ½ teaspoon of the
black pepper, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Blend until completely smooth
and set aside.
3. In a skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the garlic, mushrooms, spinach,
onion, and bell pepper in a small amount of water. Season with salt and the
remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper.
4. Place 6 slices of bread on the bottom of the prepared pan. You may need to
cut the bread slices to fit the pan.
5. Arrange the sautéed vegetables, tempeh strips, and cheese, if using, evenly
over the top of the bread. You may have to cut or crumble the tempeh to spread
6. Pour half the milk mixture over the vegetables and tempeh strips.
7. Cover the vegetables and tempeh with the remaining 6 bread slices. (It looks
like you are making a casserole sandwich.) 8. Pour the remaining milk mixture
over the top of the casserole. Bake uncovered for about 40 minutes, or until
golden brown on top. Let cool for 15 minutes and serve warm.