Just be careful to choose a buffalo sauce for these recipes with no added oils. This sandwich is made from marinated tofu layered with mushrooms, onions, and peppers on a whole wheat hoagie roll. Serve it with our vegan Blue Cheez Dressing and you will have a hit.
One 14-ounce block extra-firm tofu
1 cup oil-free buffalo wing sauce
1 onion, sliced into half rings
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1 red or green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
¼ cup low-sodium vegetable stock, for sautéing
Sea salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
1 tomato, sliced
6 whole-wheat hoagie rolls, toasted
2 cups fresh sprouts
Blue Cheez Dressing
Celery sticks, for serving
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with
parchment paper and set aside.
2. Drain the tofu and gently press between layers of paper towels to remove
excess moisture. Another trick is to freeze and thaw the tofu, causing it to firm
up with a sponge-like consistency.
3. Slice the tofu into thin triangles. You should be able to get 16 triangles from
one 14-ounce tofu block. I like the look of triangles, but you can choose any cut.
4. Coat the tofu with the buffalo sauce. Save any extra sauce and use it on your
hoagie when assembling.
5. Place the tofu on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 10–20 minutes until
edges are browned and dried, turning halfway through.
6. In a skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the onion, mushrooms, and bell
pepper in the vegetable stock and season with salt and pepper. Cook the
vegetables until tender.
7. Place the sliced tomatoes on the toasted hoagie rolls.
8. Layer with the baked tofu triangles, vegetables, sprouts, and any extra buffalo
9. Serve with the Blue Cheez Dressing and celery sticks.