Reminiscent of oven-fried breaded catfish, this is a spicy, southerninspired
breaded tofu that can be baked or fried.
2/3 cup soymilk
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/4 cup flour
1/3 cup cornmeal
1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper 1 (16-ounce) block firm or extra-firm tofu, well
1. Preheat oven to 375°F and lightly grease a baking pan.
2. Combine soymilk and lime juice in a wide shallow bowl. In a separate
bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, Cajun seasoning, onion powder, cayenne,
salt, and pepper.
3. Slice tofu into triangles or rectangular strips and dip in soymilk and
lime juice mixture. Next, coat well with cornmeal and flour mixture.
4. Transfer to baking pan and bake for 8–10 minutes on each side. Serve
with hot sauce or barbecue sauce.
5. Alternatively, you can pan-fry in a bit of oil for 2–3 minutes on each