THIS CAKE COMBINES the classic flavours of carrot, pineapple, and shredded
coconut, studded with sweet bursts of raisins and lots of spice.
¾ cup 100% pure maple syrup
One 8-ounce can crushed pineapple, drained (about ¾ cup)
⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
1⅔ cups spelt flour
2¼ teaspoons baking powder
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground allspice
3 medium carrots, peeled and grated (about 1½ cups)
¾ cup golden raisins
½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 batch Vanilla Bean Whip, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Have ready an 8 × 8-inch nonstick or silicone
baking pan (see recommendations).
2. In a large bowl, vigorously whisk together maple syrup, crushed pineapple,
applesauce, and ground flaxseeds.
3. Sift in the spelt flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg,
ginger, and allspice. Mix well. Fold in the grated carrots, raisins, and
4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 28 to 32 minutes, or until a
toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
5. Remove the cake from the oven and let cool in the pan for about 30 minutes.
Invert the cake onto a cooling rack and cool completely before frosting
with Vanilla Bean Whip or serving alone.