Easy Cheezy Shells and Broccoli | Lunch
Sometimes you want a quick Mac & Cheese you can whip up for lunch or for hungry little
ones. Skip the guilt with this low-fat version featuring fresh broccoli for added nutrition!
1 lb. / 454 g bag shell pasta (gluten-free if desired)
½ large crown of broccoli cut into small florets and pieces (about 2 cups)
4 cups / 1 qt. / 1 L. almond milk (unsweetened original)
1 cup nutritional yeast
4 Tbsp. miso (Genmai brown rice)
1 tsp. sugar or sweetener *optional
2 tsp. onion powder
2 tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. turmeric powder
1 tsp. smoked Spanish paprika
8-10 Tbsp. cornstarch
Herbamare or salt (as desired)
Pepper (as desired)
1. Bring a 5-6 quart/litre pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions or until al dente - between 9 and 11 minutes.
2. Place broccoli florets into a pot with a steamer basket.
3. In a large saucepan, heat the almond milk over medium heat and whisk in all ingredients except for the cornstarch. Use more almond milk for a thinner sauce. Taste and adjust seasonings if desired.
4. Add the cornstarch a little at a time, whisking briskly. Keep whisking until the
cornstarch is well combined and you don't see any white floating pieces. Heat to a gentle boil over medium heat, then reduce heat and cook until sauce is thickened to your liking.
5. Steam the broccoli until al dente or desired tenderness, 3-5 minutes. Be careful not to overcook. Time it to be done when your sauce is thickened and pasta is cooked and
6. Pour sauce into a large pot and add drained pasta. Cook pasta and sauce together over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until the pasta absorbs some of the flavours of the sauce and is softened to your liking. Add the steamed, drained broccoli pieces and gently stir.
7. Spoon shells and broccoli into bowls and serve.