Serve this spicy food on small slices of Italian bread as an appetizer,
or use as a filling in sandwiches or wraps.
2 (1-pound) eggplants
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 red onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 stalk celery, diced
2 tomatoes, diced
2 tablespoons nonpareil capers
2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1. Pierce the eggplants with a fork. Cook on high
in a 4-or 6-quart slow cooker for 2 hours.
2. Allow cooling. Peel off the skin. Slice each in half and remove the
seeds. Discard the skin and seeds.
3. Place the pulp in a food processor. Pulse until smooth. Set aside.
4. Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet. Sauté the onion, garlic, and celery
until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
5. Add the eggplant and tomatoes. Sauté 3 minutes.
6. Return to the slow cooker and add the capers, pine nuts, red pepper
flakes, and vinegar. Stir. Cook on low 30 minutes. Stir prior to serving.