Orange-Glazed “Chicken” Tofu | Dinner
If you’re missing Chinese restaurant–style orange-glazed chicken, try
this easy tofu version. Double the sauce and add some veggies for a
full meal over rice.
2/3 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 (16-ounce) block firm or extra-firm tofu, well pressed
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
1. Whisk together the orange juice, soy sauce, vinegar, maple syrup, and
red pepper flakes, and set aside.
2. In a large skillet, heat the oil and add tofu and garlic. Lightly fry just a
few minutes over medium heat.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low and add in the orange-juice mixture. Bring to
a very low simmer and allow to cook for 7–8 minutes over low heat.
4. Whisk together the cornstarch and water in a small bowl until
cornstarch is dissolved. Add to tofu mixture, stirring well to combine.
5. Bring to a simmer and heat for 3–4 minutes until sauce thickens. Serve
over rice or another whole grain if desired.