Posole Rojo | Dinner
This rich-tasting, spicy stew just needs a sprinkling of shredded red cabbage to finish it to perfection.
8 large dried New Mexican red chillies 1 1/2 quarts Vegetable Broth
3 cloves garlic, minced 2 tablespoons lime juice 1 tablespoon ground cumin 1 tablespoon oregano 1 (7-ounce) package Gardein Chick’n Strips 3/4 cup flour 1 teaspoon canola oil 1 large onion, sliced 1 (40-ounce) can hominy
1. Seed the chillies, reserving the seeds.
2. In a dry, hot frying pan, heat the chillies until warmed through and fragrant, about 2–3 minutes. Do not burn or brown them.
3. In a medium pot, place the chillies and seeds, 1-quart Vegetable Broth, garlic, lime juice, cumin, and oregano. Bring to a boil and continue to boil for 20 minutes. 4. Meanwhile, in a plastic bag, toss the Gardein Chick’n Strips with the flour to coat. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet and brown the vegan meat on all sides, about 3 minutes.
5. Add the onion and cook about 5 minutes, or until the onion is soft.
6. In a 4-quart slow cooker, pour/quart Vegetable Broth, hominy, and the onion and vegan meat mixture.
7. Strain the chilli-stock mixture through a mesh sieve into the slow cooker insert, mashing down with a wooden spoon to press out the pulp and juice. Discard the seeds and remaining solids. Cook on low for 8 hours.