THESE DENSE, FUDGY brownies have loads and loads of melt-in-your-mouth
raspberry yumminess. Frozen berries actually will work better here because the
dough is very stiff, and frozen berries are easier to fold in.
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
½ cup raspberry jam
½ cup dry sweetener
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
½ teaspoon almond extract
1½ cups whole-wheat pastry flour
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup raspberries, frozen or fresh
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8 × 8-inch pan with a 10-inch square of
parchment paper or have ready an 8 × 8-inch nonstick or silicone baking
pan (see recommendations).
2. Melt the chocolate in either a double boiler or the microwave. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, vigorously mix together the jam, dry sweetener, and
applesauce. Stir in the vanilla, almond extract, and the melted chocolate.
4. Sift in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix
very well until a stiff dough forms. Fold in the raspberries.
5. Spread the mixture into the prepared pan. It will be very thick, you’ll need
to use your hands to even the batter out in the pan.
6. Bake the brownies for 16 to 18 minutes. Remove them from oven and let
cool completely. These taste especially good and fudgy after being
refrigerated for a few hours.