Simple Strawberry Pie | Dessert
Strawberry Pie always reminds me of the beginning of summertime, right when the weather gets warm enough to start craving cold desserts. This is a great recipe to make the night before as it needs to firm up for quite some time, plus it is excellent served very cold.
½ recipe Flakey Classic Piecrust
4 cups strawberries, sliced
1 cup granulated sugar
4 tablespoons cornstarch
¼ cup water Pinch salt
2 or 3 sliced strawberries for a garnish
• Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly grease a standard-size pie pan and dust with brown rice or sorghum flour.
• Prepare the pie crust according to recipe directions.
• Roll out the dough in between two pieces of parchment paper until it is about ¼ inch thick. Carefully invert onto a pie pan, shaping to fit and make a lip on the crust. Using a fork, poke about twenty small holes evenly over the crust. Bake for 20 minutes, or until crust is firm. Let cool completely before filling.
• Filling: Place 1½ cups of the strawberries plus the sugar into a 2-quart saucepan and mash gently with a potato masher. Cook over medium heat just until sugar dissolves completely.
• In a medium bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water until smooth and add to the cooked strawberry mixture along with the salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat and allow to cook for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly, but not completely, for about 15 minutes. Arrange the remaining 2½ cups strawberries evenly into the piecrust. Pour the cooked filling into prepared pie pan and let chill in the fridge until firm, for about 12 hours. Garnish with additional strawberry slices. Serve cold. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.