Spicy Tortilla Soup |Lunch
Turn this spicy soup into a complete meal by adding pieces of cooked vegan chicken, such as Morningstar Farms Meal Starters Chik’n Strips or Gardein Seasoned Bites.
2 tablespoons olive oil 1 large onion, chopped 2 cloves garlic, minced 2 tablespoons soy sauce 7 cups Vegetable Broth 1 (16-ounce) package firm silken tofu, crumbled 2 cups diced tomato 1 cup corn kernels 1 teaspoon chipotle powder 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper 2 teaspoons ground cumin 2 teaspoons salt 1 teaspoon dried oregano 10 small corn tortillas, sliced 1 (8-ounce) package shredded vegan cheese, such as Daiya Mozzarella Style Shreds
1. In a sauté pan over medium heat, add the olive oil; sauté the onion until just soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for an additional 30 seconds.
2. In a 4-quart slow cooker, add all ingredients except tortillas and cheese. Stir, cover, and cook on low heat for 4 hours.
3. While the soup is cooking, preheat oven to 450°F. Slice the corn tortillas into thin strips and place them on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until they turn golden brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. After the soup has cooled slightly, use an immersion blender or regular blender to purée the soup.
5. Serve with cooked tortilla strips and 1 ounce of shredded cheese in each bowl of soup.