These flavours bring back fond memories of my childhood in upstate New York. I was never a fan of the corned beef, so making a vegan version was easy: I simply replaced the meat with spinach, mushrooms, and tempeh. It’s the sauerkraut and dressing that make this a unique sandwich.
6 ounces Lightlife Organic Smoky Tempeh Strips
⅓ cup Russian Dressing
1 cup sauerkraut
1 red onion, thinly sliced
½ red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
6 ounces white button mushrooms, sliced
2 cups fresh spinach
1 teaspoon black pepper
8 slices rye bread
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment
2. Layout the smoky tempeh strips on the prepared baking sheet and bake for
10–15 minutes or until edges become dry to the touch.
3. In a small mixing bowl, combine the Russian dressing and sauerkraut.
4. Using a very small amount of water, sauté the onion, bell pepper, and
mushrooms in a skillet over medium-high heat until the mushrooms are softened.
Add the spinach and heat until wilted. Season this mixture with black pepper.
5. Cover 4 slices of the bread with smoky tempeh strips and then top with the
spinach mixture. On the remaining 4 slices, smear the Russian dressing mixture
and place on top of the sandwiches.
6. Grill in a nonstick panini press or griddle until the desired grill marks are